SURF AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, LAND MANAGEMENT, COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS, ECO-DYNAMIZATION
Sustainability is a top priority. Surf & Nature Alliance works for the sustainable development and the inclusion of the surf factor/value in decision making, and the environmental, socioeconomic, and cultural management of the place. We are utilizing the value of surfing and waves to promote long-term sustainable development models.
What exactly do we do?
We carry out technical projects for evaluation, planning, tourism dynamization, territorial, and coastal management with innovative long-term sustainability strategies. We put together the capabilities of a large multidisciplinary team, so we can carry out integral development plans for the benefit of the coastal communities.
What else ?
The Surf & Nature Alliance provides advice and technical assistance to local communities for their coastal development plans, helping them in the management of natural resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, and in the use of these resources to mitigate environmental degradation and development. Coastal non-sustainable that could affect surfbreaks and waves that could be strategic for surfing: Ports, breakwaters, retaining walls, marine energy facilities and all type of marine structures.
In 2016/2017, PH.D. González Trueba was appointed as coordinator of the “Environmental Hub” of a project proposal INTERREG ATLANTIC AREA of the European Union, for the development of a sustainable surfing model on the coasts of Europe. The SAFE AND SMART WAVES project had 14 partners from all over the Atlantic Europe between public administrations, universities, institutions, companies, and NGOs.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get first-hand information on all new projects and proposals we are currently involved.
- In 2013, we published and ratified the Manifesto for the Protection of Waves with the presence of the General Director of the Environment, General Director of European Affairs, General Director of Fishing and Food, General Director of Culture of the Government of Cantabria.
- Since 2013, we have represented surfing in the Patronages of the Coastal Natural Parks of the Government of Cantabria. The surfing spokesman is now heard along with politicians, technicians, lawyers, ecologists, scientists, in the decision making of the protected natural spaces.
- Proposal for the declaration of the Natural Monument of the Surf Breaks of Cantabria has been accepted for processing by the General Directorate of Nature Conservation of the Government of Cantabria.
- Development of different actions of environmental awareness, land and coastal management, conservation and integral management of surfing in several coastal municipalities.
- Advice and awareness of the value of surfing in Local Action Groups dedicated to the sustainable development in the region of Cantabria. The Local Action Group Saja-Nansa supported the request for the creation of the Surf Reserve of San Vicente de la Barquera in 2016.
- Evaluation of Surfing as an alternative of strategic socioeconomic resource for sustainable models in the Coast of Cantabria (General Direction European Affairs, European Maritime Week 2013, 2017).
- Technical assistance to municipalities of Cantabria for the renewal and management of new uses such as surfing in the Municipal Ordinances of Uses of the Beach. We have achieved that in emblematic places such as Los Locos (Suances) and Merón (San Vicente de la Barquera). A proposal to prohibit surfing during the entire summer season was rectified and reformulated given that it had been declared a Surf Reserve in 2012 and 2016 respectively.
- Technical assistance for the management and zoning of uses on the beach and coastal strip of the Municipality of Suances and San Vicente de la Barquera.
- Technical assistance to the authorities and coastal managers in different regions of Spain. 2008-2017
- In 2013, we published and ratified the Manifesto for the Protection of Waves with the presence of the General Director of the Environment, General Director of European Affairs, General Director of Fishing and Food, General Director
of Culture of the Government of Cantabria.
- Elaboration of environmental material to be included in the museum designated area of the Surf Center of Ribamontán al Mar, within the Surf Tourism Promotion Plan in Ribamontán al Mar (2014).
- Participation in the Surfart and landscape sessions at the Surf Center of Ribamontán al Mar (2016).
- Advisory for the generation of contents of the Surf Museum of Valdoviño, Galicia (2017).
- Environmental awareness campaigns in sporting events in collaboration with the Cantabrian Surf Federation (2010-2017), Cultural Days of Santander City Council (2013), International cultural surfing festivals such as the Cosmic Children (2006-2017), or the Surfilm Festibal de Donostia (2013), or conferences such as the one held at ExpoSurfing de Avilés in 2017.